The 2022 annual conference of the European Association for Architectural Education (EAAE) will take place as a hybrid event hosted by the ETSAM School of Architecture in Madrid. The main topic is the New European Bauhaus, an ambitious ecological, economic, and cultural project initiated by the European Commission but open to everyone. By bringing a strong critical background to its proposal, the EC shuns the revival of the Bauhaus as a mere brand and transforms it into a productive engine to address the problems of the 21st century. As topics, organizers propose three aspects that the New Bauhaus must face: what should be the role of design practices with regard to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs); what should the new professional teams be like and what should be their relationship with the design schools, and what critical avenues can be opened today to promote continuous improvement.
1. THE NEW EUROPEAN BAUHAUS AND THE SDGs
· Designs that make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and
· Designs that ensure inclusive and quality education and promote lifelong learning
opportunities for all.
· How to achieve gender equality through design.
· The relationship between space, power, culture and collective identities.
2. THE NEW EUROPEAN BAUHAUS AND MULTIDISCIPLINARY DESIGN
· Collaborative possibilities between different professionals.
· Transfers between professional practice and teaching.
· Involvement of users in design processes.
· Second digital turn and new methods of design.
3. THE NEW EUROPEAN BAUHAUS AND CRITICAL POSITIONS
· Old Bauhaus: lessons for the 21st century.
· Needs in contemporary architectural thought and practice.
· New frontiers for the New Bauhaus.
· New imaginaries and the need to educate in discernment.
Organizers invite paper proposals for 15-minute presentation addressing these issues. Organizers welcome talks from architects, urbanists and everyone linked or interested in design practices. Please, send your abstracts of no more than 300 words by 30 June 2022 through the online form. Participants may also choose between on-line and in-person participation, and, after the congress, they will be
eligible to submit full papers for publication.
Full details, program and fees can be found on the event website.