The Art of Ornament. Meaning, Archetypes, Forms and Uses
Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, Lisboa, November 23 – 25, 2017
Deadline: April 30, 2017
The topics suggested for proposals for participating in this Conference are generically the following, although others may be considered if
they are deemed pertinent and relevant:
– Contemplating the ornament our days: meaning, tendencies and paths.
– Ornament and portuguese decorative arts;
– Revivalism, exoticism and ornament
– Ornamentalists and engravers: creation, reception and dissemination;
– Ornament and architecture: historiography, theory and present times;
– Mobility and transcontinentality: the migration of forms;
– Between the sacred and the profane: appropriations, reinventions and coexistence;
– Intersection, union and dissonance: literature, music and visual arts.
Abstracts (of no more than 500 words), accompanied by a short bio (250 words), in English or Portuguese, should be sent to the members of the
organizing committee, at email@example.com by April 30, 2017.
Participants will be notified by the end of May, and the conference program will be published in June. The languages of the conference are
English, Portuguese, Spanish and French.
A selection of papers from the conference will be published in Revista de História da Arte – Série W, an annual peer-reviewed digital journal.
For all questions regarding administration and practical matters, as well as the payment of the conference inscription, please send an email
Deadline for abstract submission: 30 April 2017
Notification of acceptance of abstract: 31 May 2017
Provisional Programme: 30 June 2017
Deadline for registration: 31 August 2017
Conference: 23- 25 November 2017
The editors seek original, unpublished papers for a special journal issue on the theme of historical and current spatial aspects of climate change, including climate mobilities. The special issue will be pitched in early Spring 2023 to interdisciplinary journals...