Call for Papers: Ibero-American Art, Identity and Resistance session at UAAC-AAUC Conference. Online 20-23 October
Universities Art Association of Canada Annual Conference
This panel aims to examine works by Ibero-American artists from the colonial period to contemporary times that debate migration and people’s movements across geographies. It seeks to debate how artists interpret a new reality with constrained people movement in a pandemic. Organizers seek contributions from a wide range of disciplines that engage with artistic practices in an Ibero-American context, including painting, performance, multimedia, art installation, and virtual reality (VR). The panel organizers encourage submissions that debate how Ibero-American artists portray in their work the political and social aspects of cultural transfers resulting from people’s migration. The panel seeks to discuss issues affecting minority populations and cultural transfers discourses in the context of immigration. Organizers seek to debate how these works by Ibero-American artists demand from their makers a reconfiguration of thought and practices in current realities. The panel explores the importance of maintaining the Latin American historical memory and raising questions about preserving Latinxs identity and diversity. How politics influenced the Latin America art scene? How does the cultural flow happen in a new geographical location? How can arts promote cultural identity? How do artists negotiate their migrant identity in new geographies? How can artistic practices be reimagined in a new context in which we have limited physical interactions with others?
Keywords: Ibero American, immigration, art, identity, resistance
We invite 300-word abstracts of the proposed papers to be sent along with a a brief biography (150 words maximum) to Tatiane de Oliveira Elias, email@example.com, and Patricia Branco Cornish, Concordia University, firstname.lastname@example.org, by 16 May 2021.
- Submissions must include / Les soumissions doivent inclure:
- the name of the applicant / le nom de l’intervenant·e
- the applicant’s email address / l’adresse courriel de l’intervenant·e
- the applicant’s institutional affiliation and rank / l’affiliation institutionnelle et le titre de l’intervenant·e
- title of proposal / le titre de la communication
- a proposal (300 words maximum) / une proposition de communication (maximum de 300 mots)
- a brief biography (150 words maximum) / une courte biographie (maximum 150 mots)
More information can be found here.