Exhibition: “Saving Place: 50 Years of New York City Landmarks”
Museum of the City of New York ( 21 April – September 13, 2015)
Many believe New York’s pioneering Landmarks Law, enacted in April 1965, was the key factor in the rebirth of New York in the final quarter of the 20th century. It fostered pride in neighborhoods and resulted in neighborhood preservation in every borough, connecting and motivating residents and bringing new economic life to older communities. It ensured that huge swaths of the city remain a rich complex of new and old. It also ensured the creative re-use of countless buildings. At the same time, a new body of important architecture has emerged as architects, clients, and the Landmarks Preservation Commission devised innovative solutions for the renovation of landmark buildings and for new buildings in historic districts. The law spawned creativity in architects’ responses to building preservation that has enhanced the cityscape in all five boroughs.
Presented to celebrate the law’s 50th anniversary, Saving Place will be organized by Donald Albrecht, the City Museum’s Curator of Architecture and Design and Andrew S. Dolkart, the Director of the Historic Preservation Program at Columbia University, with consulting curator Seri Worden, currently a consultant with the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Exhibition Co-chairs: Frederick Bland, Jim Hanley, Hugh Hardy, William Higgins, John J. Kerr, Esq., Richard Olcott, Raymond Pepi, Frank Sciame, Michael Sillerman
Honorary Chairs: Kent Barwick, Laurie Beckelman, Gene Norman, Sherida Paulsen, Jennifer Raab, Beverly Moss Spatt, Meenakshi Srinivasan, Robert B. Tierney
“Redes Internacionales de la Arquitectura Española (1939-1975)” is a set of lectures which presents the results of the research «Spanish Architecture in International Media: Publications, Exhibitions, Congresses (first part: 1939-1975)», which has received the support...