Course: 61th course on Palladian Architecture, All Palladio. Veneto, 27 August – 3 September
On 27 August 1959, the first Palladian Course was held at Villa Cordellina Lombardi. It involved nineteen intense days of visiting buildings with lectures by scholars such as Giulio Carlo Argan, Bruno Zevi, Rudolf Wittkower, Ernesto Nathan Rogers and Renato Cevese. Among those studying on the course were Lionello Puppi, Eric Hubala, Anna Maria Matteucci, Bernhard Rupprecht and Wladimir Timofiewitsch, while Aldo Rossi and John McAndrew had signed up but had to withdraw at the last minute.
In subsequent decades, without missing a year, the Palladian course has attracted to the Veneto region over 7,000 architectural historians, architects, engineers, art historians and students from 50 European, American, Asian and African countries.
Exactly sixty years since its memorable debut in 1959, the historic Palladian course in 2019 will be an opportunity to visit the “complete works” of Andrea Palladio: not only the best-known buildings, but also the lesser known and more peripheral ones, which are difficult to access. For this reason, the duration of the course has been specially extended to eight days so that the participants can cover the entire Palladian “territory” from Verona to Friuli.
The draft programme of the course and information about the admission is available here.